End of Month View of the Garden. End of January 2018
January can best be described as wet, with more wet and cold, some snow and wet.
I find January an odd month, as someone recently posted on social media summed up perfectly, stating that January feels at least 72 days long.
It’s currently hard to believe that the garden will eventually dry out enough for me to be able to walk about without having to pull my boot up out of the sodden ground.
We’ve had it all this month, hail, stormy winds, heavy rain, another storm, and then a day of decent snow. The days of sunshine have been few and far between, but very well received when they do happen, which is mostly when I’m at work. I’m finding that I’m getting home from work with slightly more daylight available each day which is certainly a good thing.
I’m pleased to find that there is some colour in the garden, my Edgeworthia is full of buds, a few random Primulas and my Hamamelis shrubs look and smell amazing.
But as always my ever reliable Sarcococca is flowering its socks off, it’s certainly the best performing plant currently have in the garden, it’s putting up with soggy soil and deep shade, and continues to flower through the darkest winter months, I can smell it from the back door, where it must be at least 10 feet away.
I’m still waiting for a majority of my Snowdrops to make an effort and flower, I think my exuberance last autumn where I emptied my 3 compost bins out and mulched all available surfaces has resulted in my snowdrops discovering they are much deeper this year and need to make more of an effort to break through the surface.
As usual ‘ve made a promise to myself to buy more snowdrops in the green to add to the existing plants, and as usual I expect I will forget.
But for now, here is a little clump of snowdrops that I did plant last year under my James grieve Apple Tree.
In my raised beds the only bit of interest is that my Broad Bean Sutton Dwarf have popped up through the surface, planted last mid-November I’m hopeful of some crop before the Sweetcorn need that exact spot this coming June.
Towards the end of January I received my annually anticipated package of seeds chosen from the Hardy Plant Society Members Seed Distribution.
Some seeds need to be sown soon, some need to wait for warmer weather.
Another exciting new project I started just a few days ago involves me tearing down my old shed, the shed was erected by the previous owner, and was erected mostly on soil. The result has been me paying quite a bit in materials over the years to conduct running repairs to the floor, sides and re-felting the roof – twice.
So the time has come to slowly take down the existing shed, burning the broken up wood as I go, and hopefully preparing the area for a shiny new shed that I’ve spotted at a local suppliers.
I don’t make things easy for myself though, the existing shed is tucked away at the top of the garden, next to the boundary fence with next door, the new shed just has to go in the same spot, so has to be the same size. There is nowhere else suitable for a new shed, and the contents of the old shed are currently residing in one of my greenhouses. I need to get a move on as I will be needing greenhouse space in the near future of all sorts of seed sowing fun.
The non-gardener I live with is also a non-DIY type, so it’s safer if he stays indoors, makes the dinner whilst I demolish the old shed.
Progress so far has been surprisingly swift, as I’m armed with a crowbar and mighty heavy lump hammer.
Although not all those involved with my shed demolition skills is impressed with my handy work.
So until next time…. Wish me luck.